Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First Day of School

Well, for those of you reading from U of I, enjoy your week or two more of break... because I'm in school already! Today I had Antropologia Andina (Andean Anthropology) and Politica Ecuatoriana y su Pensamiento (Ecuadorian Politics and Thought).


Since it was the first day, we pretty much just went over what we'll be learning about in the class and the syllabus, including how grades work for the class. It seems pretty similar to U of I, and in my anthro class we even get extra credit if we go on an excursion that our professor is organizing and then write a little about it :)

My Schedule:

ANT300 -Antropologia Andina
Ordoñez, Angélica
Mon & Wed 11:30-1

POL310-Politica Ecuatoriana Y Su Pensamiento
Creamer, Claudio
Mon & Wed 2:30-4


LIT237 -El Cuento Hispanoamericano
Minster, Chris
Tues & Thurs 8:30-10

SOC290 -Problemas Sociales En El Ecuador
Diaz, Karla
Tues & Thurs 10-11:30

MAK301 -Marketing Principios Y Fundamentos
Andrade, John
Tues & Thurs 11:30-1

DEP160 - Aerobicos
Eaton, Gaby
Tues & Thurs 4:30-6




After my host family showed me how to get to campus on Sunday, we went to get ice cream! Here are some pictures of Ivana (the first one) and Esteffí (with me in the second one)






I've already tried some new food here! Some Blackberry ice cream (in the picture), Guanabana ice cream (i've tried the juice before), and some 'tomate de arbol' juice. The juice very good, and it doesn't taste like tomato at all! I also tried another juice that starts with an 'm', but i can't remember what it is. I'm sure I'll have it again and I'll ask. I've been having very good meals, always with some fresh fruit or a salad. In the morning i usually get fruit, maybe some yogurt, and an egg and bread. There's always bread and Queso fresco on the table, and my host family has a little George Foreman thing, so i've made a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches with queso fresco, yumm. They also make a lot of soup, which is really good, and I've had chicken, sausage, and fish so far for dinners.

Tomorrow I have more classes, but on Friday we're going to La Mitad del Mundo! I get to come back to the northern hemisphere for a little bit. I'll try to take a bunch of fotos :) If anyone has any questions just comment on the blog if you have a google account or email me at ckloeck1110@gmail.com.


Hasta luego!

4 comments:

Mom said...

Hi,

The girls are so cute! Are you happy? All looks really great for you from here. Where is Matid del Mundo? Does the equator actually pass through Quito? It would be cool to get a picture right on the latitude of the equator - is that 0 degrees? Talk to you soon, Mom

KBaedke said...

Hola Carolina,

Nice to read your blog and keep up with you. Your classes sound great and the family seems wonderful too.

I hope you enjoyed being in two hemispheres at once today. That's on my list of things that I hope to do some day. :)

I am reading your blog, Gabriela's from Spain and my niece's from France so even though I'm not traveling anywhere, I can enjoy your experiences vicariously.

Enjoy all of it!
Take and give care.
Besos y abrazos,
Kika

liz. said...

Ah!! POST MORE!! HOW ARE YOU!?!?!?!?

The kids looks adorable, and that one picture looks almost fake (of the one girl eating ice cream!!)

Sounds like you are drinking a LOT of juice. Which is cool, I guess. I am sure its more like legit there because the fruit is fresh and stuff...

Anyways, miss you!!!

Danielle Ciribassi said...

Oh, you had
"tomate de arbol"? I had that stuff too, and almost puked. I think it tastes sooo nasty. I also had the other juice (the "m" one), and much preferred it to the tree tomato.